CHICO, Calif. --
Chico State's mens team took seven of the Top-10 finishes in last weekend's Stump Invitation at UC Davis. Wyatt Baxter was one of those seven to finish second overall.
"That was a lot of fun, just having everybody out there so like the mentality of being together again as a team and just racing and seeing what we can do especially against a ton of Divison I schools was a lot of fun," said Baxter.
The Wildcats were the only DII team and dominated over six DI schools.
"I try not to underestimate or overestimate anybody and I feel that kind of helps going into every race, whoever we're racing whether it's Division I or Division II because there's talent everywhere," said Baxter.
While the passion for running got him to Chico State, his performace in school stands out, too.
"I think my GPA floats around like 3.7 and 3.8 which definitely wasn't the case in high school," said Baxter.
"He came to us with relatively modest grades out of high school, so he wasn't a 3.5 to 4.0 guy in high school," said coach.
The Public Administration major says he's got more on the line now that he's near the end of his college career.
"Obviously you have to have the grades to compete and so that's a driver all season," said Baxter. "I don't want to start failing classes because then I won't be able to do the thing that I love. Just being here and doing well in school and kind of just growing up has helped me mature a lot so I take everyday as what it is and don't regret coming here at all."
- Subway Scholar Athlete of the Week: Wyatt Baxter
- Subway Scholar Athlete - Tyler Reynolds
- Subway Scholar Athlete - Bailey Sulzer
- Subway Scholar Athlete - Yaneesa Velasquez
- Subway Scholar Athlete - Claire Garcia
- Subway Scholar Athlete - Ellie Miller
- Subway Scholar Athlete - Austin Mishoe
- Subway Scholar Athlete - Noah Zoppi
- Subway Scholar Athlete - Tony Rogers
- Subway Scholar Athlete - Tyler Hafner