Every sports team pushes for the chance to prove itself on a national level and one local youth cheerleading team is getting that opportunity. Action News Now's Ross Field has the story.
Hard work and dedication are bringing a group of nine young cheerleaders from Chico to Nationals in Las Vegas.
"You have to have perseverance," says Amiyah Bobinger.
"I love my team," added Vanessa Arismendez.
"We're going to have so much fun," said Syntell Zepeda.
On October 28th, the Chico Jr. Panthers Mighty Mites cheerleading team qualified for Nationals.
Courtney Bobinger helps coach and says the 5-to-7 year-olds have come a long way.
"Some of these girls when they showed up couldn't do probably three-fourths of what we were asking them to do and now most of those girls have pulled away and look better than probably any of us can. They've definitely come a long way with the hard work they've put in," said Bobinger.
"Last year we didn't win anything and this year we tried really hard," says Nayeli Vierra.
The three-day competition begins January 19th. Until then, these youngsters will be practicing and fundraising.
On Saturday, December 2nd, they're hosting a breakfast fundraiser at Applebee's in Chico from 8-10am.
They've also set up a GoFundMe Page to help alleviate some of the cost.
- Local cheerleading team qualifies for Nationals
- PV and Chico cheerleading squads heading to nationals
- PV cheerleaders celebrate national title with a parade
- Jr. Midget Bobcat Cheerleaders Hope to go to Disneyland
- Local youth football team wins CaliBowl title
- Three Chico High cheerleaders to perform in London's New Year's Day Parade
- PV cheer team wins USA Spirit Nationals title
- Chico Matrix Volleyball Club sending team to nationals
- Chico State honors 1999 national champion baseball team
- Local Junior Golfers Compete to earn trip to Augusta National