It's hard to believe, but the Chico State baseball season is fast approaching.
The Wildcats were putting barrell to ball today at the Nett as they prepare for the Spring year.
Chico State also held its first intrasquad scrimmage. Wildcats head baseball coach Dave Taylor says they've been practicing for one week.
"We're young, we've got some returners back like Cam Santos and Casey Costello and a few of the guys from last year's team so it's good to have that leadership. But, we've got a lot of young faces, a lot of freshman and transfer guys in as well. We've got a little bit more of a mix with the younger guys. They're getting used to the speed, the tempo, the pace, and the expectations here so it's been fun for the first week and we're learning a lot from them and they're learning about how to play the game the right way, so it's exciting," said Taylor.
Chico State went 45-11 last season (25-1 at home) and 34-4 in the CCAA Conference - the most dominant season in the history of the conference. They won the CCAA regular-season conference title and the CCAA Conference Tournament championship before bowing out in the Regionals.
The 2018 NCAA Div-II Collegiate Baseball preseason poll has them ranked No. 9 in the country.
"Well Ross, you know how that is. It's just a big target on our back. But it's really nice to be recognized especially with the guys coming back that had such good years and the program itself, the consistency over the past twenty-plus years I think that's why we're up there. it doesn't mean much other than our guys feel good about where they're at but teams are going to come in here and try to knock us off so we're just anxious to take care of that first inning of that first game and go from there," said Taylor.
Chico State opens the season with a doubleheader against Fresno Pacific at Nettleton Stadium on Friday, February 2nd. Game times are set for 12:00pm and 2:30pm.
- Chico State baseball team prepares for season
- Chico State baseball team falls to Fresno Pacific 6-3
- Chico State baseball team wins big on senior day
- Chico State honors 1999 national champion baseball team
- Chico State volleyball team preparing for CCAA Tournament
- Chico Heat Prepare for Season Opener
- Chico High Football prepare for season
- Chico State baseball defeats Northwest Nazarene 6-5
- Chico State Hosts Summer Youth Baseball Camp
- Butte baseball team getting ready to open up 2019 season