CHICO, Calif.-- As the golf season wraps up, a dynamic coach and player duo have won big at Chico State.
Senior Kelley Sullivan won his first California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) golfer of the year award, while his coach Nick Green won coach of the year. Sullivan is an All-American and won 'golfer of the week' six times this season.
"it feels pretty great, I have been working for this for a while" Sullivan said it became his goal when two Chico State golfers won the award back in his freshman year.
"it was a big sigh of relief when my coach finally texted me that I got it, it was pretty great," Sullivan said.
Meanwhile, Coach Green has won the second coach of the year award in his third year at Chico State.
"I've got players [that make] it a little bit easier to win coach of the year when you have such a talented squad as i do," said Green.
He goes on to say "With golf, everyone is on a different hole so it's hard to see everything going on, you just hope you prepared them well enough to be successful."
Together, Sullivan and Green lead the Wildcats to nine top-5 finishes in 10 events this season.
Sullivan was also an All-Academic scholar and will graduate on Saturday with his finance degree.
- Chico State Golf honors
- Chico State men's golf team wins CCAA Tournament
- Chico State soccer player celebrates Scholar All-American honor
- Chico State honors 1999 national champion baseball team
- Chico State men's golf team advances to championship of CCAA Tournament
- Butte Creek Country Club offers free golf to Chico veterans
- Chico's Kurt Kitayama earns first professional golf win
- Chico City Championship tees off at Bidwell Park Golf Course
- EAL Boy's Golf Highlights
- Chico State men defeat Humboldt State 74-36