BAKERSFIELD, Calif. -- The 2020 CIF State Wrestling Championships are in the books. Two local wrestlers made it to the final, but only one claimed the Championship title.
Orland High's Jennifer Soto competed in the 121 Final and was looking to defend her State title.
The No. 1 seed faced Melanie Mendoza from Selma High.
Soto trailed by one in the first period, but came back with a take down and control.
The sophomore will win her second title by a 5-2 decision.
“Last time that match was 2-0 and I didn’t get to score much and this time it felt like I widened the gap a little bit more. I felt like I could’ve got into my offense more, but I definitely widened the gap," said Soto. "I feel great. I'm on my way to four, that’s the plan to be a four timer. It feels great."
Durham High's Jacob Christensen faced off against No. 3 Brandon Leon from Roosevelt High in the 220 weight class.
The junior and No. 1 seed was looking to go undefeated and collect his first state title, but Leon was not going to fall down without a fight.
Christensen trailed 5-1 in the second period and by the third he lost by a 9-4 decision.
Christensen will take runner-up in the 220's.
- CIF State Wrestling Championships
- CIF State Wrestling Championship Quarterfinals
- CIF State Wrestling Tournament
- CIF State Regional Championship bowl games unveiled
- CIF NorCal Regional Soccer Championship Brackets
- Viking girls are headed to CIF Div-II state championship
- Masters Wrestling Championships
- CIF Regional basketball Quarterfinals
- Five Panthers qualified to State Wrestling Championships
- CIF State basketball playoff brackets unveiled