PARADISE, Calif. - A commemoration was held on Nov. 8 at the Paradise Alliance Church for community members to not only remember the past but how they plan to move forward.
"We will do as we have always done: work hard, make tough decisions, have faith in our ability to withstand the challenges ahead and once again create our peace of the world called Paradise," said Mayor Judy Jones.
A moment of silence filled the room for the 85 lives lost in the Camp Fire with friends and family of those lost standing to remember.
Pastor John Gallagher with the Paradise Alliance Church reminded people in order to heal well, they have to grieve well.
Councilmember Michael Zucchillo recognized those who were heroes and picked up complete strangers while evacuating, helping them get out.
The Paradise Ridge Elementary School chorus sang a song bringing tears to many eyes and cheers when Councilmember Steve Crowder announced debris cleanup had been fully completed as of Wednesday.
Also at the commemoration was a look at what the Hope Plaza would look like.
"A magnificent gift to our community hope plaza is a landmark designed to be a place of inspiration for our future,"
Chico State President Gayle Hutchinson closed the ceremony reminding people to acknowledge grief and nurture resilience.
"We cannot do it alone so I ask you to join elbow to elbow, or even put your arms around the people in your row, and as you do this tell them what you're grateful for and as you do this tell them that they are ok and that we are going to get through this together," said Hutchinson.
- Paradise comes together to remember the past and look at the future
- Paradise's Underground Infrastructure Future
- Town of Paradise remembers 85 lives lost with moment of silence
- Paradise Police and Fire Chiefs talk about the future of their departments
- The future for schools on the ridge
- Rising from the Ashes: Paradise Athletics
- The future of insurance in the Camp Fire burn scar
- The Paradise Chamber of Commerce all Camp Fire related events
- Aerial video: View the progress of Paradise one year later