After their short program, Italian pair Valentina Marchei and Ondrej Hotarek celebrated their score in the Kiss and Cry. While Hotarek went in for a high five, Marchei completely ignored him and shook hands with the pair’s coach, instead.
Marchei competed at the Sochi Olympics as a single skater, so maybe she wasn’t used to reacting to her score with a partner.
They were exuberant in the media mixed zone after their competition, joking and laughing with NBCOlympics.com:
Marchei and Hotarek ultimately scored 74.50 points and finished in seventh place before moving to the free skate. They also contributed their free skate in the team event for Italy, where the country finished fourth overall. Catch Marchei and Hotarek in the free skate Wednesday, February 14 in Primetime on NBC and NBCOlympics.com.
- Italian figure skater left hanging by pairs partner in Kiss and Cry
- Italian figure skating pair parties with Barbie in gala program
- Robin Szolkowy, former German pair skater, now trains Russian team
- Early starts at Olympics cause figure skaters concern
- German figure skaters spend time bonding with president, first lady
- Many figure skaters depart PyeongChang Olympics between team, individual events
- American figure skater Vincent Zhou is brilliant, bemusing
- Where you from? Sometimes, figure skaters have surprise answer
- Australian figure skating pair makes history in PyeongChang
- Who cleans up the stuffed animals and flowers after a figure skater competes?