SHASTA COUNTY, Calif. - A new windmill farm is in the works just west of Burney.
The farm being developed by Pacific Wind Development LLC did not disclose why the 39,000-acre plot of land was chosen.
Some locals are concerned about the farm's placement because of how close it is to homes, how it will impact tourism, possible fire danger and what it will do to the landscape.
"The windmills actually increase the fire danger. And we're already a zone just like Paradise was," said Beth Messick, who chairs the group that calls themselves the Citizens in Opposition to the Fountain Wind Project.
Pacific Wind Development will release its environmental impact report later this year and this will give more insight into what could happen.
The group says it will continue to fight to keep Shasta County as natural as possible.
Its members meet once a month at the Hill Country Community Clinic Great Room, beginning at 6:00 p.m. in Round Mountain.
The Shasta County Board of Supervisors was unavailable for comment about the application process and their concerns.
- Citizen group expresses its concerns about windmill farm being built in Shasta County
- Camp Fire survivor expresses concern over water contamination
- Shasta County weather watch
- Shasta County Election Results
- Shasta County Frost
- Chico Fire Citizens' Academy
- Vietnam Stories from Shasta County
- Emergency notifications for Shasta County
- Shasta County most wanted criminals
- Shasta County Most Wanted Criminals