SUTTER COUNTY, Calif. - Loved ones gathered to pay respect to Captain Daniel Laird, a 41 year-old U.S. Forest Service firefighter captain who died in a helicopter crash in March. After Saturday services were held, a procession was held for family and friends to the Sutter Cemetery.
Laird was a helitack captain for the Tahoe National Forest. He was helping on a routine prescribed burn in at the Sam Houston National Forest in Montgomery County, Texas, when his helicopter crashed.
Two other people sustained injuries that were not life-threatening.
The Forest Service is still trying to figure out what caused the crash.
Laird was in the Forest Service for 23 years. He is survived by his wife Heather and his 10-year-old daughter Evain.
- Yuba City/Tahoe area firefighter remembered
- Tahoe Highway 28 Overnight Closures
- Tahoe woman found buried alive
- Yuba County Election Results
- Yuba City facilities holiday closure schedule
- Yuba City Police targets neighborhood speeders
- Yuba City Christmas Stroll road closures
- Yuba City 5th Street Bridge closure
- Yuba City road closures for 5K
- Yuba City commercial structure fire threatens home