UPDATE 12:51 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 9 - The Shasta County Sherrif's Office identified the person killed in a crash in Redding Thursday, Jan. 2 as 21-year-old Sierra Rylee Seitz, of Redding.
Her next-of-kin was notified and an autopsy was completed.
The crash remains under investigation by the Redding Police Department.
REDDING, Calif. - A woman was killed on Thursday evening after her vehicle crashed into a boulder in Redding.
Redding Police Officers responded to a single-vehicle collision on Thursday, Jan. 2 at 10:35 p.m.
The vehicle, a 2012 Kia Optima, crashed into a boulder at Alta Mesa Drive and Rancho Road, officers said.
Citizens told officers the vehicle’s airbags had deployed, was smoking, and the doors would not open.
Once officers arrived on the scene, they were able to open the vehicle’s door and found a female driver who was pronounced deceased on scene by medical personnel. Nobody else was in the vehicle, according to authorities.
There were no witnesses to the collision. However, evidence suggests that the Kia Optima was heading southbound on Alta Mesa Drive at a high rate of speed, failed to stop for the stop sign at the intersection of Rancho Road, and collided head-on with boulders lining the south roadway edge of Rancho Road, officers said.
The woman was not wearing her seatbelt, however, it's unknown if the driver was under the influence of alcohol or drugs, according to investigators.
The woman's identity is being withheld pending confirmation and notification of her next-of-kin.
Officers said the intersection of Rancho Road and Alta Mesa Drive was temporarily closed. The traffic investigation is ongoing.
Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the Redding Police Department at 530-225-4200.
- Authorities identify woman killed in Redding crash
- Authorities identify man killed in suspected DUI crash in Redding
- Woman Identified in Fatal Crash in Redding
- Authorities identify man killed in Redding officer-involved shooting
- Authorities identify person killed by train in Redding
- Authorities identify woman killed in Orland shed fire
- Authorities identify man killed in crash on Clark Road
- Authorities identify man killed in Oroville shooting
- Authorities Identify Woman Bitten By Alligator
- Update: Redding woman killed in solo vehicle rollover identified