SHASTA COUNTY, Calif - Shasta County sheriff’s deputies on Saturday arrested a woman accused of burglarizing a Whitmore home and possessing illegal explosives, but a male suspect is still at large.
According to the SCSO, the incident happened just before 2 p.m. at 30195 Oak Run to Fern Road in Whitmore, after neighbors called 911 to report an unknown man and woman inside a vacant residence.
Neighbors said the homeowners were out of town and were taking care of their home while they were away.
The neighbors also tried to catch the burglary suspects but were only able to track down the female suspect known as 33-year-old Kayla Marie Lane, according to SCSO.
At that time, the male suspect ran away but neighbors tracked down Lane near her vehicle and noticed that Lane was in possession of a dark colored bag.
Lane tried to hide the bag in the snow, near her vehicle, but deputies arrived at the residence and questioned the female suspect.
Lane told deputies that she was walking around the house because she was looking for gasoline.
But deputies found a colored bag near Lane’s vehicle, and inside the bag contained a spool of approximately 500 feet of detonation cord explosives, according to SCSO.
Deputies also checked the burglarized home and discovered that the back door had been forced open and that it was apparent that the suspects rummaged through the entire house.
The SCSO Bomb Team responded to the scene so that the explosive material could be safely taken into custody.
Lane was arrested and booked for:
• Residential burglary
• Possession of illegal explosives
She’s also on probation for receiving stolen property, deputies are still looking for the male suspect and he’s identified as:
• A white male
• Wearing dark-colored clothing
• Wearing a dark colored hoodie sweatshirt
If anyone has information concerning the incident or the identity of the male suspect, the public is urged to call SCSO at (530)-245-6540.
- Woman caught burglarizing, possessing explosives, accomplice at large: SCSO
- SCSO continues to detonate explosives, school closure on Monday
- Teenage burglars caught on Christmas Eve
- Oroville cinema burglar caught in the act
- Alleged Lakehead Market Robber Arrested: SCSO
- SCSO: Suspect Injured in Shootout with CHP
- Alleged ATM Burglars Caught in Redding, 1 Suspect Outstanding
- Orland woman arrested for narcotics possession
- Redding woman confronts burglar inside home
- UPDATE: SCSO female suspect in Anderson shooting found