UPDATE 4 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 10, 2019 - The Butte County Sheriff's office has identified a woman that died after staying in a Red Cross shelter in Chico.
Alice Cummings, 62, of Magalia, was an evacuee of the Camp Fire and was staying at the Silver Dollar Fairgrounds in Chico.
She died from pneumonia in the hospital last weekend. Red Cross said that she was rushed to the hospital on Saturday morning after medical volunteers evaluated her sickness.
CHICO, Calif. - A woman staying at the Red Cross Shelter in Chico got sick and later died in the hospital over the weekend.
The woman was rushed to the hospital on Saturday, Jan. 5, where she later died.
Red Cross Public Affairs Volunteer Doug Bardwell said that they are not able to share what the sickness was or how long she was sick.
It is also unknown whether this woman was an evacuee of the Camp Fire, as Bardwell said some living in the shelters are not victims of the deadly wildfire.
"About all we are able to tell you is that a woman was sick Saturday morning, our medical people took a look at her and decided that she needed to go to the hospital," Bardwell said. "At that point, we really lost touch with her other than the fact we did hear that she passed away after that."
Bardwell said they have medical staff from both Red Cross and the county on hand monitoring people's conditions at the shelter.
In regards to the woman who died, they did not disclose what her condition was or if she was receiving any treatments.
The Butte County Coroner's Office said they are not releasing any information about the woman at this time.
This is a developing story. Stay tuned for more updates.
- Butte Co. Sheriff's Office Identifies Camp Fire Evacuee that Died in Hospital
- Camp Fire victim identified by Butte County Sheriff's Office
- Two additional Camp Fire victims identified by Butte County Sheriff's Office
- 3 additional Camp Fire victims identified by Butte County Sheriff's Office
- Butte County Sheriff's Office Releases Camp Fire 9-1-1 Calls
- ThirdLove Gives Love to Camp Fire Evacuees
- T-Mobile Aiding Camp Fire Evacuees
- Camp Fire Evacuees Search for Affordable Housing
- How Donations Get to Camp Fire Evacuees
- FEMA: What's Next for Camp Fire Evacuees