A storm system moving through the Pacific will bring heavy rain and snow back to Northern California for our Sunday forecast. Clouds will be increasing Saturday night and into early Sunday morning. Showers look like they'll approach the coastline close to 7-8am, then becoming more widespread across the region by Noon. Rain will quickly transition into snow on Sunday, as colder air sits over the mountains.
Winter Storm Warnings go into effect early Sunday morning and remain until early Monday morning. During that 24-hour period, the Mountains are looking at picking up about 8-12" in areas above 3000-3500' with closer to 18-24" at the highest peaks. Heaviest snowfall is expected Sunday afternoon and into the evening. Travel on roads will be difficult and could also be dangerous. Strong winds blowing heavy snow will reduce visibility on roadways. Winds could gust as strong as 40-50mph. Snow levels start around 3500' on Sunday and could drop as low as 2000' into early Monday morning. Valley should pick up some decent rain with this storm also, likely around 0.50-1.00" throughout Sunday.
A few showers stick around before Noon on Monday, but we should get a little sunshine for the afternoon. Tuesday looks dry but again the clouds start to thicken up through the day ahead of another storm system. So we get a small break from the wet weather before a second round of showers comes this week. This storm is looking just about as strong as the previous one, and should bring more good rain and snow back.
Ski resorts should be getting a pretty solid base from all of this snow! Dry pattern looks like it's finally breaking down and the moisture we've been seeing recently has been much needed!
- Winter Storm bringing heavy snow for Sunday
- Winter storm brings heavy winds to the ridge
- Heavy Rain, Snow With Late Week Storm
- Heavy Rain, Snow coming Monday
- Heavy Rain, Snow for Tuesday
- Severe winter storm brings major impacts to Northern California today
- Winter Storms Will Bring Major Impacts This Week
- Heavy snow fall in parts of Oregon
- Heavy rain & snow ahead for Northern California
- As snow and rain move out, winter storm brings in 'coldest air of the season'