WILLOWS, Calif. - A crash on County Road 203 in Willows sent a bicyclist to the hospital and a Mercedes into canal waters on Wednesday afternoon.
According to California Highway Patrol, Mario Vega, 29, was driving a Mercedes sedan northbound on County Road 203, south of County Road 9, around 2:15 p.m. on Wednesday.
Vega was driving on a curve and approaching a bicyclist, who was riding on the far right side of the northbound lane.
For unknown reasons, Vega's vehicle steered right, partially off the road, and struck the bicyclist from behind.
She was carried a short distance on the front of the Mercedes, but then Vega steered sharply to the left and across both lanes which caused the bicyclist to land in the southbound lane.
Vega's vehicle continued across the lanes and laned in the canal water. The vehicle drifted with the current for about 100 feet. It was almost completely submerged along the east embankment, but Vega was able to get himself out of the vehicle and check on the bicyclist.
The unidentified bicyclist was transported to Enloe Medical Center with critical injuries.
Vega was uninjured.
Stay with Action News Now for the latest updates as they become available.
- Willows crash seriously injures bicyclist, sends car into canal waters
- Willows Man Dies After Car Overturns on Glenn-Colusa Canal
- Woman injured in suspected DUI crash in Willows
- Bicyclist Killed in Yuba City Crash
- Willows Fifth Graders Win 2018 Cal Water Challenge Grand Prize
- Willows Car and Bike Show Marks 32nd Year
- 2 car crash on Interstate 5 near Willows leaves 1 with moderate injuries
- Redding Ranked Dangerous for Bicyclists
- Willows DMV office closing for renovations
- National Flag Day Celebrated in Willows