TRUCKEE, Calif. - Wildlife officials are warning people to not feed bears even if they seem cute.
The warning comes after a caught on camera moment, that many would view as innocent, where a bear cub approached snowboarders at a ski resort.
The snowboarders shared their sandwiches with the cub but officials say feeding a bear cub could have some dangerous consequences.
"Let's say she goes back into the wild and she grows up and adds about two to three hundred pounds on to her weight. She's big, she's strong, and she still thinks she can approach people? That's not going to be good and somebody is going to shoot her," said Ann Bryant of the BEAR League.
The cub is in the care of the California Department of Fish and Wildlife who will make sure she is healthy before releasing her back into the wild.
- Wildlife officials warn of feeding bears
- Yellowstone Park Officials Warning Spectators of Feeding Bears
- Wildfires Push Wildlife Into Town
- Chico Polar Bear Plunge
- Watch Out for Wildlife Week Begins
- Kirshner Wildlife Foundation Survives Camp Fire
- Recent wet weather impacts local wildlife
- Dept. of Fish and Wildlife needs volunteers
- Teddy Bear Scare: Gun-Toting Bear Left At School
- New 'Facebook News Feed' coming soon