GRIDLEY, Calif. - People in Gridley may have seen a strange sight Monday. That's because the city was pumping white smoke through the sewer system.
They're using it to find and fix cracks and leaks. Wherever workers see the smoke, they know that there is a leak. Workers told Action News Now they found a few places that had been compromised.
"When it rains they're getting extra infiltration into their sewer system," said Jimmy Carter, director of American Leak Detector, "and they're having to treat that water for their system so they're treating more than is needed, which is costly for the city."
The city says it will save money by finding and fixing the leaks because it'll be able to cut back the extra water they've been running through its treatment plant.
- White smoke seen coming from Gridley's sewer system
- Paradise receives federal funding for sewer system
- Our Future After the Fire: Sewer System Set-up
- Gridley Police Chief Resigns
- UPDATE: Gridley's 2 Competing Newspapers
- Gridley hosts Red Suspenders Day
- Gridley home damaged in fire
- City of Redding Replacing Sewer Mains
- Gridley VFW holds 74th Commander's Dinner
- Gridley Red Suspenders Days Marks 55th Year