Photo Gallery 7 Images
PARADISE, Calif. - Volunteers nationwide are building free storage sheds for Camp Fire survivors.
Organizers price estimate the sheds at $4,000 a piece. But for Camp Fire survivors, they'll be getting one of the sheds for free.
It was another busy day of work for volunteers gathered outside Paradise Adventist Church. It's where you'll find Camp Fire survivor Terry Parsons. She lives in Chico now after losing her home in Paradise.
"Coming here was a way to give back to my community," Parsons said. "To bring us out of the ashes, and into something positive."
Before the fire, she never saw herself doing construction work.
"I even learned how to use a nail gun," Parsons said. "I helped lift and carry and all kinds of things."
And its that gung-ho attitude organizers hope to recruit more of as work continues on 200 storage sheds for fire survivors.
Jerry Mitchell traveled all the way from Colorado to pitch in.
"It's good to be able to give back, Mitchell said. "Hope they get a blessing out of it." "Its more than a shed we like to say. It's hope. Hope for our community."
Another path of purpose for those gathered here, building a shelter for those in need, just before the winter cold sets in.
"It doesn't matter what you can do. There's always something for someone. The more the merrier," said Mitchell.
The group is looking for more hands to help with this project happening in Paradise. The Camp Fire shed project is spearheaded by faith-based groups Maranatha International and Paradise Adventist Church.
More information on how you can volunteer here.
If you would like to learn eligibility requirements for a Camp Fire storage shed, click here.
- Volunteers build free storage sheds for Camp Fire survivors
- Volunteers Build Shed for Redding Boy who Honors Veterans
- Camp Fire survivor RV fire
- Camp Fire survivor turns 100
- Camp Fire survivors receive mattresses
- 'Tide' Offers Free Laundry Service for Camp Fire Survivors
- ‘Unwined’ Restaurant Hosts Free Christmas Dinner for Camp Fire Survivors
- Church Gives Away Free Men's Suits for Camp Fire Survivors
- Butte College gives free laptops to student Camp Fire survivors
- Free trauma counseling services for Camp Fire survivors