UPDATE: The passenger killed in Friday's early morning vehicle crash in Shasta County has been identified.
The crash was originally confirmed by law enforcement to have occurred in Anderson, but the latest press release says it was actually in Cottonwood.
California Highway Patrol officers say 27 year old Alexander Kirby lost control of his vehicle on Balls Ferry Road in Cottonwood early Friday morning, striking a fence and a telephone pole. The passenger in the vehicle, 22- year old Sean Kenneth Michael Binder of Redding, died after being thrown from the vehicle. Kirby, the driver, was arrested by the California Highway Patrol for felony DUI with an injury and vehicular manslaughter. According to a public information officer for the Shasta County Superior Court, there's no court date set yet for Kirby, but he is expected to appear on Tuesday. He's being held in the Shasta County Jail at $100,000 bail.
We’re now learning more about a deadly crash in Anderson we first told you about Friday morning.
We now know the name of the victim of the fatal crash. A drunken driving investigation has since been opened.
The crash happened just before 4:30 a.m. Friday morning on Balls Ferry Road where 22-year-old Sean Kenneth Michael Binder, of Redding, was ejected from the vehicle. He would later die from his injuries.
The CHP said the 27-year old-driver Alexander Kirby was heading north when he lost control on a curve and hit a tree, and a utility pole.
Officers say Kirby was driving at a high rate of speed in a 45-mile per hour zone.
- Victim identified in Cottonwood DUI crash
- Victim Identified in Cottonwood Housefire
- Early Morning Fatal D.U.I. Crash in Cottonwood
- Fatal Crash Victim Identified
- Victims identified in Plumas County DUI crash that killed 3
- Cottonwood Teen Dies Following Deadly Crash
- Small Plane Makes Crash Landing in Cottonwood
- Authorities identify man killed in suspected DUI crash in Redding
- Victim of San Diego plane crash identified
- Fatal Crash Victim in Glenn County Identified