LOS ANGELES (AP) - A California utility facing a slew of lawsuits over a deadly Southern California wildfire is now suing Santa Barbara County and the state's transportation department, saying they neglected to prepare for deadly mudslides that followed the blaze.
Southern California Edison filed a lawsuit Friday against the county and Caltrans over mudslides that killed 23 people and destroyed hundreds of homes in the community of Montecito last year.
The utility says public officials "knew such an event would inevitably occur" and failed to minimize the risk in advance. Edison says county and transportation officials allowed development in hazard-prone areas and built inadequate debris basins, flood channels and other infrastructure.
Santa Barbara County attorney Michael Ghizzoni declined to comment on the lawsuit while Caltrans media representatives didn't return a call seeking comment.
- Utility Company Sues Over Fatal California Mudslides
- California mudslides death toll now 20
- 'Day of Remembrance' for California mudslides
- California residents could sue companies for violating privacy protections
- Drug companies sue to block California drug price law
- Utility worker killed near Northern California wildfire
- California Alleges Utility Falsified Pipeline Safety Records
- California governor releases wildfire, utility report
- California governor proposes safety steps for utilities