CHICO, Calif. - The University Police Department at Chico State is investigating reports of a hate crime that occurred over the weekend.
In an email to Chico State Students, the department classified the crime as "Destruction/Damage/Vandalism of Property - Hate Crime."
A representative with the university told Action News Now that the crime involved "racist and homophobic graffiti vandalism inside Butte Hall."
The police department said that it happened between 12:30 p.m. on Friday, April 5, and 10:30 a.m. on Sunday, April 7.
Anyone with information is asked to call the University Police Department at (530) 898-5555.
Action News Now is working to learn more. Stay tuned for updates.
- University police investigating hate crime reported at Chico State
- Chico Police Investigating Crime Spree
- Marysville police investigating assault as possible hate crime
- Redding Police Department Hate Crime Pamphlet
- Hate Crime Rise in California
- Redding hate crime & assault arrest
- Chico State Crime Statistics Show Increase in Rape Reports
- Police investigate shooting near Chico State campus
- New Report Shows Chico Crime is Decreasing
- Chico State University Farm Plant Sale