UPDATE 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2019 - The Tehama County Sheriff's Office has released more information about the suspected home invasion in Corning on Tuesday night.
At around 6:12 p.m. on Tuesday, deputies responded to reports of shots fired in the 3000 block of Highway 99 W in Corning.
Upon arrival, the deputies found two gunshot victims who were pronounced deceased at the scene. The two victims were later determined to be robbery suspects.
It was reported initially that four Hispanic men and a Hispanic female had orchestrated a home invasion robbery. The female suspect had parked in front of the residence and went to the door claiming her car had broken down.
Austreberto Santamaria, 23, went out to help her. While at the car he was approached by at least two subjects one armed with a handgun. They forced him to return to the residence.
Detectives believe the motive was to steal a quantity of marijuana stored in the residence. At some point, Santamaria obtained a semi-automatic pistol and shot the two would be robbers.
The female suspect and a male suspect fled southbound on Highway 99 W in the Charger at a high rate of speed. The other male suspect fled on foot northeast direction away from the scene. They are still at large.
At this time no arrests have been made. The investigation is ongoing.
The identity of the deceased has not been released at this time. Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the Tehama County Sheriff's Office at (530) 529-7920.
Suspected vehicle description: Described as a 2006 4-door Charger, white in color, lowered with possibly tented windows, there is no front license plate however the plate holder is cracked or damaged.
CORNING, Calif. - A reported home invasion turned deadly Tuesday evening in Corning.
It happened around 6 p.m. on Tuesday night.
According to Assistant Sheriff Phil Johnston, five suspects entered a home in the area of Dora Avenue and Highway 99 W.
One of the residents wrestled a gun away from an attacker and shot and killed two of the suspects.
No resident of the home was injured.
Three suspects escaped, one reportedly driving a white Dodge Charger.
Stay with Action News Now for the latest updates as they become available.
- Two Killed in Suspected Corning Home Invasion
- Tehama County Sheriff's Office identifies suspects in Corning home invasion robbery
- REWARD for Lakehead Home Invasion Robbery Suspect
- Lakehead home invasion robbery suspect arrested
- Chico police arrest home invasion suspect
- Paradise home invasion suspect arrested after high speed chase
- Police Looking for Suspects in Biggs Home Invasion
- Police searching for Lakehead home invasion robbery suspect
- Butte County Sheriff Search for Suspects in Home Invasion Robbery
- Chico Police Searching for Suspects Involved in Home Invasion Robbery