RIO OSO, Calif. - Two are dead and one is injured following a fatal head-on collision in Rio Oso.
The incident happened around 12:32 p.m. on August 31, when a driver was traveling west on Kempton Road approaching northbound SR-70. The driver made a left turn to go south on SR-70 and instead of going into the south lanes of SR-70, the driver drove into the northbound passing lane of SR-70.
The second driver was traveling northbound on SR-70 approaching Kempton Road. The driver noticed the other driver in the lane directly in front of him and made an attempt to avoid the collision by steering his vehicle left, toward the center medium.
Simultaneously, the first driver attempted to guide their vehicle toward the median and both vehicles collided head on.
Both vehicles sustained major damage. The driver and passenger in the second vehicle were pronounced dead at the scene. They have not been identified, but police have released that they are 76-years0old and 70-years-old, both from Plumas Lake.
The driver in the first vehicle was transported to U.C. Davis with major injuries.
The northbound lane of SR-70 was closed for approximately two hours to facilitate the investigation of the scene and for safety.
The collision remains under investigation as it is unknown whether alcohol or drugs may have been contributing factors.
- Two Dead After Fatal Head-On Collision in Rio Oso
- Two Dead Following Fatal Collision in Susanville
- Fatal Collision Leaves One Dead in Yuba City
- 2 dead after vehicle collision at Capay
- Victim Identified in Fatal Vehicle Versus Pedestrian Collision
- Fatal Pedestrian Versus Vehicle Collision on Larkin Road
- CHP: Head-on collision sends two people to the hospital
- Fatal Head-On Crash North of Marysville
- 10 dead after minibus-truck collision in China
- One Person Dead Following Vehicle-Pedestrian Collision in Linda