CHICO, Calif. - Early Saturday morning Butte County Sheriff's deputies discovered two men in north Chico that looked like they may have been involved in a home burglary.
A Butte County Sheriff's Office spokesperson said there has been an increase in burglaries in the W. Eaton Rd. area of north Chico.
Deputies Harper and Robertson were patrolling at Weymouth Way and Southbury Lane when they said they spied a white hatchback-style vehicle. The rear hatch was open and miscellaneous property was spread out on the ground.
Officers thought it was odd that the men would be moving property around at 1:30 in the morning, so they stopped to make contact.
Deputies said 48-year-old William Omler fled the scene on foot. They canvassed the neighborhood by checking yards and waking neighbors, but were unable to locate their suspect.
29-year-old Michael Borden was detained at the scene.
During their investigation deputies determined that a garage in the Weymouth Way area had been burglarized. They contacted the homeowner who identified the recovered property.
Later in the day on Saturday Sheriff's deputies and Chico Police worked together to find the missing suspect, who was then arrested.
Both Omler and Borden were charged with residential burglary and possession of stolen property and were taken to the Butte County Jail. Bail for each of the men has been set at $103,000.
Omler was also held on a violation of Post Release Community Superivision (PRCS), for an unrelated criminal conviction.
The Butte County Sheriff's Office is encouraging people to secure garages and vehicles at night, citing a recent influx in property-related crimes.
- Two arrested for north Chico burglary
- Chico Transient Arrested for Burglary
- Chico High Burglary Suspect Arrested
- Redding Residential Burglary Arrest
- Burglary at Daycare in Chico
- Police arrest suspect linked to burglary in south Chico
- Police Arrest 2 Burglary Suspects at Home in Chico
- Marysville Police Arrest Burglary Suspect
- Vehicle Burglary Suspects Sought in Chico
- North State man sentenced for burglary, assault