Donald and Melania Trump wanted to borrow a Van Gogh painting from the Guggenheim Museum, instead, the museum's curator came up with a satirical counter-offer: a working, solid-gold toilet.
The 18-karat toilet, titled "America" is worth an estimated worth of $1 million.
The Guggenheim’s chief curator, Nancy Spector, has been openly critical on social media of President Trump.
The first couple had asked for Van Gogh's "landscape with snow," featuring a man and his dog.
She emailed the White House Office of the curator in Sep. to say that the Trumps could borrow the toilet installation used by visitors in a museum restroom until mid-September.
The toilet could be "a long-term loan," she wrote. "It is, of course, extremely valuable and somewhat fragile, but we would provide all the instructions for its installation and care."
The post said the White House has stayed silent on the subject.
- Trumps want to borrow Van Gogh painting, get golden toilet instead
- US consumer borrowing up $20.5 billion in October
- Countdown to Golden Globes
- Golden Globes: The winners list
- Body found in Van Duzen River
- Bicyclist Killed in Collision with Mini Van
- Sacramento DA: 'Golden State Killer' Arrested
- Suspected Golden State Killer Back in Court
- Golden State Killer Victims get Compensation
- Golden Valley Bank Opens Location in Redding