President Trump released a series of tweets Thursday in an effort to firm up his positions on gun control in the wake of the Florida school shooting.
Trump detailed suggestions including comprehensive background checks with a focus on mental health.
He also proposed raising the purchase age to 21 and banning bump stocks.
The president was particularly emphatic in reiterating his suggestion of arming some teachers.
Trump accused the media of mischaracterizing the idea, which came up during his White House listening session with school shooting survivors Wednesday.
Trump also praised the NRA and its CEO Wayne Lapierre as "great American patriots."
- Trump pushes suggestions to prevent gun violence
- Nation debates gun violence and school safety
- California lawmakers considering bills to address school gun violence
- Symptoms, measles prevention techniques
- Trump suggests tariffs may exempt Australia, Mexico, Canada
- Wildfires Push Wildlife Into Town
- Trump pushes back reports of firing Special Counsel Mueller
- Trump revives push for limits on immigrants bringing family
- UN Assembly Blames Israel for Gaza Violence