WEAVERVILLE, Calif.- Trinity County and the California Office of Emergency Services (OES) will open a Local Assistance Center (LAC) for victims of the Monument Fire at the Veterans Memorial Hall in Weaverville.
The LAC will be open from Thursday to Friday. They will be open from noon to 8 p.m. Thursday through Friday and from 9 a.m to 4 p.m on Saturday
The LAC will help people who have had been impacted by the Monument Fire with a number of resources.
Services available include document replacement like driver's licenses, identification cards, and vital records, along with legal services, financial assistance, and mental health support.
While the LAC will help people, some like Junction City local Michael Wiles are skeptical that some in Trinity County won't seek the assistance out.
"It should help people, the problem is that the folks in the mountains are not privy to going into those and signing up," said Wiles. "90% of them won’t know what to do. Myself, I don’t know what to do you know."
Wiles has gone through relief programs before during the Carr Fire and has worried about the intentions of people setting up the relief.
He has been recommended to go to the assistance center after having to evacuate his home in Junction City.
Wiles just hopes that the organizations at the LAC keep an open mind towards the people they're helping.
"I hope that the people that present these services are nonjudgmental because that’s the main key here with folks from Trinity County," said Wiles. "I’m the same way I hate to be judged. You don’t know who I am. You don’t know whether I’m Rockefeller or I’m homeless you know."
Wiles told Action News Now that another concern is that a lot of people hadn't heard about the LAC opening at all. Wiles only knew about it after calling OES to check if he could return to Junction City.
The list of confirmed organizations and their services at the LAC is below:
- California Office of Emergency Services – Debris Removal Program
- Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) - Replace DMV documents
- California Department of Insurance (CDI) - Assistance on handling delays, additional living expenses, under-insurance disputes,
- California Department of Public Health - Vital Records (CDPH) – Replacing vital records
- American Red Cross - Recovery / Disaster Mental Health
- Trinity County Environmental Health
- USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) - Thursday, Sept. 9 (Noon - 8 p.m.), Friday, Sept. 10 (Noon - 4 p.m.)
- Lions Club
- SMART Workforce Center - resume help, job search assistance and computer support when applying for unemployment
- Legal Services of Northern California - Saturday, Sept. 11 (9 a.m - 4 p.m.)
- Salvation Army - Thursday, Sept. 9 (Noon - 4 p.m.), Friday, Sept. 10 (Noon - 4 p.m.)
- NVCSS Crisis Outreach - Thursday, Sept. 9 (Noon - 6 p.m.), Friday, Sept. 10 (Noon - 6 p.m.), Saturday, Sept. 11 (9 a.m. - 2 p.m.)
- SNAP Nurse Team
- United Policyholders - Assistance with navigating insurance claims - Thursday, Sept. 9 (Noon - 8 p.m.), Friday, Sept. 10 (Noon - 4 p.m.)
- Mountain Chapel - Food assistance - Thursday, Sept. 9 (Noon - 3 p.m.), Saturday, Sept. 11 (9 a.m. - Noon)