MAGALIA, Calif. - People who returned to their homes in Magalia say they're running out of food and supplies.
A community center is helping them survive.
"The people today who came and brought all this wonderful stuff keeps us from having to take extreme chances and risks driving off of of this mountain up and across, we're really trapped here," said Phil Howard, a board member for the De Sablo Guild in Magalia.
The De Sablo Guild in Magalia set up a place for people to come pick up food and supplies.
"As people found out we're here we've been able to get a lot of volunteers that come in that they just want to help," Howard said.
Howard said they're bringing food to people unable to leave there homes.
"That's something that we're just started doing cause we just started figuring out there's a lot of people who are infermed can't leave there area don't have a car and those people we're getting fire wood to and much needed food and water and supplies," Howard said.
Neighbors in the area helped spread the word about the community center and donated goods.
"I sent out an email blast to my old neighbors and friends in Magalia in landpark 10th avenue in Sacramento, and in 24 hours about 100 household filled two garages with donated food," Donna Yutzy said.
She escorted the truck across the icy roads of butte meadows.
"Now it was snowing and raining and starting to ice at that point so we had my car in front with flashing lights and cars in back with flashing lights we made it across it took us a while but we got here around 4 p.m. and there were literally 100 people waiting here and many had been waiting all afternoon cause we ran out of the food we managed to get a hold of earlier
by monday the food was gone," Yutzy said.
The community center has served over 500 people in three days.
"I just want to be there to serve the community," Howards said. "It's heartwarming."
- Community Center in Magalia Helps Camp Fire Evacuees
- Camp Fire remembrance in Magalia
- Magalia Community Church remains popular hub for Camp Fire survivors
- New Distribution Center Opens for Camp Fire Evacuees in Chico
- Help Magalia Community Church "Heat the Halls"
- FEMA Representative Answers Questions About Help for Camp Fire Evacuees
- T-Mobile Aiding Camp Fire Evacuees
- Camp Fire Evacuees Search for Affordable Housing
- Wattles Given Away to Camp Fire Evacuees
- ThirdLove Gives Love to Camp Fire Evacuees