After losing their home in the Carr Fire, Mark and Victoria Rendes were looking forward to beginning the rebuilding process.
“It's been a difficult time just dealing with everything you have to deal with once you've lost everything,” Victoria said. “So it's insurance, it's trying to make life a little normal.”
But after navigating many obstacles to get to this point, they're faced with one more.
Mark visited the property Saturday to pick up the mail when he discovered their trailer was missing.
“As I'm coming up the driveway, I had a locked chain across it and it looked like somebody had taken and just drove over and pulled it out,” Mark said. “So I thought, ‘Uh oh. We got problems.’ So I went up here and I found the trailer was gone.”
It happened off Swasey Drive in west Redding, one of the areas hardest hit by the Carr Fire.
“And you know, that was our little home,” Victoria said. “It took care of us while we were evacuated.”
Not only was the trailer home, it also housed electrical materials necessary to get power back up and running on the property so they could begin rebuilding.
Thieves also made off with pool furniture, some of the couple’s few belongings to survive the fire.
“Basically, everything's gone,” Mark said. Cups with our grandchildren's pictures on the mugs inside the trailer, those are gone. So it was pretty tough to take.
And after losing pretty much everything they owned, this incident adds insult to injury
“It makes it difficult to have it happen, have something like this happen again,” Victoria said.
But for Mark, it stings a little more.
“That being a natural event, it wasn't personal,” he said. “This is personal. You know, somebody came up here with the intent of ripping us off, stealing from us. And so personalizing it, it makes it really difficult.”
CHP is handling the case.
If you spot the trailer, you're asked to give them a call.
- Trailer With Building Supplies Stolen From Carr Fire Victims
- Two Stolen Bikes Recovered for Victims of the Carr Fire
- Resources for Victims of Carr Fire
- Fraudulent Contractor Targets Carr Fire Victim
- Wildfire Recovery Meeting for Carr Fire Victims
- Free Legal Workshop for Carr Fire Victims
- Graham Nash Performs for Carr Fire Victims
- Car stolen from Carr Fire evacuee returned to owner
- Bikes for Carr Fire Kids Stolen From Redding Bike Shop
- Carr Fire Traffic Updates