Two men are in custody following a felony traffic stop in Hoopa.
Around 2:30 p.m. on Jan. 3, 2018 two sheriff’s deputies were on patrol in the Hoopa Area near Boozer Ln. and Highway 96 when they observed wanted assault suspect, Cory Michael Nelson, 32, driving southbound in a blue truck. When the deputies attempted to conduct a traffic stop on the truck, Nelson turned south on Shoemaker Road and began to accelerate the vehicle. Deputies engaged in a pursuit. Nelson then turned the vehicle onto Telescope Rd. and pulled over into a turn out.
Upon the arrival of backup, deputies conducted a felony traffic stop and detained three male subjects. Upon a search of the vehicle, deputies located four boxes of ammunition and five pounds of marijuana. On the side of Shoemaker Rd., deputies also discovered a handgun, loaded with the same type ammunition as was inside the vehicle, with damage consistent with being thrown from a vehicle.
Nelson was arrested on the following charges: felon in possession of ammunition, felon in possession of a firearm, carrying a loaded firearm in a public place, possession of stolen property, flight from a traffic officer, hit and run with injury and assault with a deadly weapon other than a firearm.
Nelson’s passenger, Nathaniel Heath Edwards,19, was arrested for carrying a loaded firearm in a public place and possession of stolen property.
The third subject in the vehicle was released at the scene.
- Traffic stop in Hoopa finds pounds of marijuana and ammunition
- McKinleyville traffic stop leads to discovery of 22 pounds of marijuana
- Judge blocks California's high-capacity ammunition ban
- Spanish police find 8,000lbs of stolen oranges in traffic stop
- Anderson Traffic Stop Finds Felon with Drugs and Gun
- I-94 traffic stop in North Dakota yields 200 pounds of pot
- Over 3,000 pounds of marijuana seized in Humboldt County
- Humboldt County Sheriff's Office seizes 630 pounds of marijuana
- California becomes first state to require ammunition background checks
- Chico traffic stop leads to drug arrest