PARADISE, Calif. -- A major milestone is coming for the Town of Paradise, nearly five months after the Camp Fire. The town is issuing its first rebuild permit since the Camp Fire.
The Buzzard family told Action News Now there was never a doubt in their mind they'd rebuild in Paradise.
"I think a lot of us are just eager to get started, and clean it up and rebuild," said
For three months now, Grace, Meagann and Jason Buzzard have rented a house in Chico, but they say, it doesn't quite feel like home.
"Just the fact that we're living in someone else's home and not our own is probably the biggest challenge," said Jason Buzzard.
The Buzzard family lost their Paradise home of two years on Ramada Lane in the Camp Fire.
The family, like many other survivors, is rising out of the ashes. They are the first in the town to get a rebuild permit after the Camp Fire.
"I just don't think there was ever a question in our mind. Paradise is leveled, but I think it's going to come back and we want to be a part of that," said Jason Buzzard.
The family said several of their neighbors won't return, but for those who also want to rebuild, the Buzzards hope they set an example.
"That's what gives us hope, that's what drives us forward. We're going to be by ourselves for a little while and that will be okay," said Meagann Buzzard.
When they rebuild, the family said they have very specific plans.
"We're actually building it back to how it was, it's the same footprint, everything," said Jason Buzzard.
Their reason is simple.
"That was our home," said Jason Buzzard.
The Buzzard family said they hope to start rebuilding in April.
- Town of Paradise issues first rebuild permit
- First Paradise rebuild permit issued to family of 3
- Paradise Rebuilding and Recovery: Over 500 building permits issued
- Paradise Town Council Gets Rebuilding Status Update
- Rebuilding Paradise: Town Council Member gives update
- Paradise Town Council considers several rebuilding ordinances
- Paradise Rebuilding and Recovery: The town is on track to receive 500 building permit applications
- Butte County issues first rebuilding permits after Camp Fire
- Rebuilding progress in Paradise
- Town of Paradise holds open house for rebuilding efforts