SHASTA COUNTY, Calif. - A Shasta County adult who has become the county's second measles patient is now at a local hospital in isolation.
The confirmation of the measles diagnosis was made on Friday and announced in a press released issued on Saturday afternoon.
A program manager from the Shasta County Health and Human Services Agency said communication disease investigators from their Public Health Branch are in contact with the patient and others who are considered at the most risk.
The adult with the measles is currently in isolation at a local hospital.
Program Manager Kerri Schuette said the public health agency is encouraging anyone who visited Cinemark Redding 14 on Tuesday, April 16, 2019, between 7 - 11 p.m. to notify their health care provider if any symptoms are experienced or observed.
Schuette said the theater is safe now. She said the public should not have any concerns about exposure to the measles in the theatre at this time.
This new case is related to the second Shasta County case that was identified on April 11, 2019.
Schuette said having two documented doses of the MMR (measles/mumps/rubella) vaccine provided 99 percent immunity. Measles is highly contagious and can be dangerous, especially for people who are unvaccinated, babies who are not old enough to be vaccinated, pregnant women and anyone with a compromised immune system.
Health officials suggest you contact your doctor's office or medical clinic right away if you develop any measles signs or symptoms after being in contact with a known case of measles, traveling internationally, going through an international airport in the U.S., interacting with foreign visitors, or visiting a popular U.S. tourist attraction.
CLICK HERE to reach the Shasta County Health and Human Services Agency website. There is a banner on the page that links to the measles information page.
* The article was updated to correct information. There are two confirmed cases of measles in Shasta County, not three which was previously reported. *