REDDING, Calif. - Redding police have arrested two in connection to multiple robberies in the downtown area.
David Shankles, 28, of Redding, and Chelsea Hyatt, 20, of Redding, were found at the Thunderbird Motel with what police believed to be a stolen computer and ammunition from cars.
Police said that the two admitted to looking for unlocked cars to take items from mainly to support their heroin addiction. Video evidence was also obtained showing Shankles and Hyatt walking through the parking lot of the Thunderbird Motel attempting to lift door handles of cars.
Shankles is on Post Release Community Supervision (PRCS) for domestic violence and theft-related offenses. He was also found to be in possession of a rifle magazine full of ammunition. Being a convicted felon, he is prohibited from possessing ammunition.
Shankles was booked into Shasta County Jail for being a felon in possession of ammunition, possession of stolen property, petty theft, conspiracy to commit theft and violation of his PRCS terms.
Hyatt was booked on charges including grand theft, possession of stolen property, petty theft and conspiracy to commit theft.
The department encourages community members routinely lock vehicles, secure valuables and turn on outside lights near cars by 9 p.m.
- Thieves Arrested in Downtown Redding
- Suspected bike thieves arrested in Downtown Redding
- Excitement Brewing in Downtown Redding
- Redding woman's persistence catches 2 pro ID thieves
- Thieves caught on camera stealing generators from Red Bluff diner
- UPDATE: Two arrests made in connection with downtown Redding stabbing
- Redding Sees Update to Downtown Specific Plan
- Restaurant Set to Open in Downtown Redding
- Roots Juice Bar Opens in Downtown Redding
- New downtown Redding development opening in 2020