LOS ANGELES - The former first couple is getting into the TV business.
Barack and Michelle Obama have signed a multi-year deal with Netflix to produce series and features for the streaming service.
The arrangement allows for scripted and unscripted content, as well as documentaries and features.
The content will be produced by higher ground productions.
It's not known how much the deal is worth or to what extent the couple will have an on-camera presence in any of the projects.
In a written statement, the former president said he hopes their programs will "promote greater empathy and understanding between peoples".
- The Obamas Agree to Produce Series for Netflix
- Netflix prices are going up
- Fire in Paradise, Netflix special
- Dignity Health Employees Agree to New Contract
- Alcohol beverage producers get tax cuts
- New Netflix series brings attention to Trump's call for death penalty in 1989 during Central Park Five case
- Netflix could face trouble ahead. Here's why
- National Portrait Gallery unveils Obama portraits
- Michelle Obama on 2017 inauguration: 'Bye, Felicia'