CHICO, Calif. - A company might be using the pain and suffering of the Camp Fire to turn a profit.
Butte County District Attorney Mike Ramsey confirmed that there is no teacher 'Miss Shelly' and the pictures of kids are not from any Paradise schools. He said the video is false and they are still investigating.
Multiple people have been sending Action News Now messages through email and Facebook upset over a Facebook video.
The video talks about a teacher named Miss Shelly. It claims she saved Paradise Elementary students from the Camp Fire. The video then goes on to say the kids can't sleep because they're traumatized. It appears the purpose of the video is to sell pillows cases, claiming their pillows will help kids sleep.
When you click on the Facebook link at the top left of the video, it redirects people to the purchase page of Velvetine Silk pillow, on this page you can only scroll and buy a pillowcase, there is no contact information. The website lets you click onto the page to pick a pillow and to pay.
There is also no information about helping Camp Fire survivors.
Ed Gregorio Paradise Ridge Elementary principal told Action News Now this ad appears to be inauthentic.
Paradise Unified Superintendent's Office said Miss Shelly is not a teacher at the school, the school area shown in the video is not Paradise Elementary, and that is not what it looked like when the kids were being evacuated during the Camp Fire.
Action News Now has reached out to the second school mentioned in the video, Paradise Preschool. However, the school closed before the Camp Fire occurred.
- Suspicious pillow ad confirmed false, District Attorney Mike Ramsey says
- Suspicious Pillow ad investigation continues
- Mike Ramsey talks to Butte County Board of Supervisors regarding needle program
- William Barr confirmed as attorney general
- Human Kindness Series: 3rd grader donates handmade pillows
- District Attorney outlines killer's troubled, criminal past
- District Attorney Files Lawsuit Against Redding Hotel
- Butte County District Attorney Issues Scam Warning
- Butte County District Attorney honors crime victims
- District attorney finds Redding police shooting justified