LAST UPDATED 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 11, 2019 - Chico police said a suspected DUI driver crashed into a creek off of Highway 32, near Bruce Road on Tuesday.
Police said the crash happened just after 9 a.m. It took more than two hours to get the car out of the creek.
Authorities said the driver, who was identified as Montana Costello, 26, of Chico, was traveling eastbound on Highway 32 from El Monte Avenue toward Bruce Road.
For unknown reasons, the vehicle crossed northbound across the opposing lane of traffic and went 600 feet through a field. The SUV then passed through a wire fence and landed in a creek, according to authorities.
The driver was not hurt but she was suspected of being under the influence of a controlled substance.
Costello is now facing multiple charges including driving under the influence, driving on a license suspended due to DUI, and violation of DUI probation.
Anyone with information about the crash is asked to call the Chico Police Department at 530-897-4900.
- Suspected DUI driver crashes into creek off Highway 32
- UPDATE: Traffic Alert: Highway 32
- Suspected DUI driver crashes into family's home in south Oroville
- Suspected DUI driver speeds, crashes, gets major injuries
- Suspected DUI driver rams LA patrol cars
- Suspected DUI driver arrested in Chico
- Rollover crash on Highway 32 sends one to hospital
- Weather a factor in crashes on Highway 32
- Suspected wrong-way driver, crash causes delays on Highway 99
- Man dead after DUI crash on Highway 99