REDDING, Calif. - A suspected DUI driver in Redding died Saturday morning after apparently leading officers on a chase, fleeing on foot and then jumping off a bridge in an attempt to escape authorities, according to the Redding Police Department.
According to Redding police, an officer attempted to pull over a 1993 silver Jeep Cherokee that was allegedly swerving around Riverside Drive and Market Street just before 3 a.m.
The driver identified as Drew Michael Pereau, 27, of Redding then sped off and drove north on Court Stret and then onto the Diestelhorst Bridge.
Pereau then hit his car into a tree and a metal pole blocking the bridge, according to Redding police.
The suspect then fled on foot and jumped off a bridge in an attempt to escape.
Officers found moments later on the river trail under the bridge, not breathing.
Authorities then attempted CPR, but to no avail as Pereau died on scene.
- Suspected DUI Driver Dies After Jumping Off Bridge: Redding PD
- Suspected DUI Driver Rear-Ends Redding Police Car
- Suspected DUI driver rams LA patrol cars
- Suspected DUI driver arrested in Chico
- Driver facing DUI charges after crashing off bridge in Chico
- Redding DUI Hit and Run
- Alleged DUI Driver Overturns Car, Causes Property Damage in Redding
- DUI Driver Leaves Redding Traffic Sign Damaged: Police
- Hit-and-Run Suspect Sought by Redding PD, Reward Offered
- Suspected DUI driver involved in 2017 crash runs from Redding police