REDDING, Calif. - A suicidal man has been arrested for intentionally igniting a vegetation fire in a wooded area of Canyon Road in Redding, said the Redding Fire Department.
According to the Redding Fire Department, Joseph A. Urbonas, 46, ignited the half-acre fire just before 1:30 p.m. at 1810 Canyon Road.
Firefighters responded to the fast-growing fire burning approximately half a mile from Highway 273 along the south side of Canyon Road.
Luckily fire crews quickly got a handle on the small fire.
Investigators from Cal Fire and Redding Fire Department said Urbonas lived across the street from where the fire broke out.
Urbonas said he set the fire because he was distraught and wanted to die, according to a press release sent by Redding Fire Department.
Urbonas was booked into the Shasta County Jail for arson.
- Suicidal Man Ignites Fire at Canyon Road in Redding: RFD
- Flat Tire Ignites Brush Fire in Redding: RFD
- Man Cited for Allegedly Igniting Oregon Fire
- Update: Redding Garage Fire Ignited by Spontaneous Combustion
- Stilson Canyon Road Residents Speak After Camp Fire Evacs Lifted
- Human Caused Fire Burns at Keswick Dam Road & Lake Blvd: RFD
- Holy Fire Reignites Near Trabuco Canyon
- Homeless Camp Fire Ignites Near Chico Train Tracks
- Lightning strikes ignite 3 fires in Trinity County
- Man arrested for arson fire ignited near Butte County Sheriff Posse training facility