Today poor air quality continues as light winds keep the smoke settled in the area. The heat was also less as high pressure weakens and smoke cover stays in place.
Smoke will continue to blanket the region over the next few days. Only stronger winds will be able to mixing the smoke out of our air at the surface. We''ll see slightly stronger winds which should help a little but significant improvement won't be here until Wednesday.
We will remain in the mid-80s to 90s through Tuesday as a slowing weakening ridge of high presure remains over us. This will also keep us sunny and dry.
The ridge of high pressure leaves on Wednesday allowing most to keep highs only in the upper-80s on Wednesday.
By Thursday a trough of low-pressure will be closer to our region, just off the Pacific Coast. This will bring valley highs on Friday into the 70s.
Rain chances are now in the forecast for Friday & Saturday. The GFS & Euro models (two reliable long-term weather models) show different rain amounts. GFS showing trace amounts of rain in the valley and a little in the mountains. The Euro showing light but widespread rain across the region. A little more generous than the GFS in terms of amounts. Many ensemble models and other long-term models also indicate a chance of rain but with mixed messages. Exact amounts and times will become more clear as the event draws near. A trough of low pressure will swing down from the Gulf of Alaska while Hurricane Marie in the Pacific weakens and travels west, then north. Post-tropical Marie will then feed extra moisture into the low-pressure system off the west coast. Some models have the system making landfall and moving inland. This increases the chances of rain. Even snow could be possible at the highest elevations along with highs in the low-70s and maybe even upper-60s in the valley. But if it doesn't make landfall and instead splits, one part of the system landfalling in Oregon and the other part sliding down the coast, remaining offshore, then this will keep our chances for rain much lower but temperatures would still be on the cool side. Only time will tell which scenario will happen. The rain forecast should become more certain by Tuesday-Wedneday.