We're staying mostly dry tonight, but rain and snow are returning to Northern California this weekend. Mild but chilly conditions can be expected for your Friday evening. Winds will be mostly light tonight and skies will be partly cloudy. There will be a chance for some scattered showers in portions of the valley, foothills, and Sierra overnight, but the main impacts from wet weather will hold off until tomorrow. A Winter Storm Warning will go into effect in the Northern Mountains at 10am Saturday morning, at 1pm in the Southern Cascades, and at 3pm on the Western Slopes of the Sierra. The Warning is currently projected to last through 6pm Monday evening. Snow levels are projected to start out at around 2000' but will rise to around 3000' on Saturday evening. Snow levels will continue to rise on Sunday and will mostly end up at around 5000' by Sunday afternoon. Up to around a foot and a half of snow can be expected down to 3000' this weekend, and we could see some higher peaks with snow totals up to 3 feet. Chain requirements are expected in the mountains this weekend and you're advised to avoid mountain travel if possible. Valley rain will be heavy at times and most of the valley is projected to get up to 3 inches of rain through Monday. Temperatures will top out in the mid to high 40's in the valley on Saturday, and then in the mid 40's to low 50's in the valley on Sunday. Low temperatures will be dipping into the 30's in the valley during that time. High temperatures will end up in the mid to high 30's in the mountains, and low temperatures will dip into the teens to 20's overnight this weekend.
The rain and snow from this wet system will continue on Monday, but snow levels should mostly be above pass levels by that time. Temperatures will become slightly warmer towards the middle of next week, but should mostly stay below average for this time of year. The current outlook has a break from the rain projected for a brief period on Tuesday, but that could end as early as Wednesday. Another wet system will bring moderate valley rain and high elevation snow back into your forecast towards the end of next week.
- Storm Tracker Forecast: Heavy rain and snow return this weekend
- Storm Tracker Forecast: Rain & snow return Wednesday
- Storm Tracker Forecast: Rain & snow return this weekend
- Storm Tracker Forecast: Heavy rain & snow Wednesday & Thursday
- Storm Tracker Forecast: Rain & snow return for Christmas
- Storm Tracker Forecast: Widespread rain & snow today
- Storm Tracker Forecast: Rain & Snow through Sunday
- Storm Tracker Forecast: More rain & snow through your weekend
- Storm Tracker Forecast: Modest rain and snow return for your weekend
- Heavy Rain, Snow With Late Week Storm