LOS ANGELES (AP) — It has all the hallmarks of an only-in-Los Angeles crime: A thief stole a hearse — with a body inside — that went on a wild ride, ending with a chase and a crash on a busy freeway.
Authorities say they found the body undisturbed inside a casket Thursday morning and took someone into custody after the crash, which closed the 110 Freeway during the morning commute.
The crime began Wednesday night, when the thief stole the black Lincoln Navigator from outside St. Anthony Greek Orthodox Church in East Pasadena. The Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department pleaded with the thief on social media to return the body in a post that was widely shared online.
“Out of all the bad decisions you have made, at least make one good one & bring back the deceased person & casket inside the Navigator,” it tweeted.
Local media have reported that the body remained in the vehicle while a mortuary attendant brought a different body into the church and that’s when the SUV was stolen.
On Thursday morning, a witness reported seeing the SUV. Los Angeles police officers pursued the hearse on the freeway until it crashed around 7:45 a.m.
Video footage from news helicopters showed that it has heavy front-end damage. It was not immediately clear if the person in custody was the same person who had stolen the hearse.
The Sheriff’s Department did not identify the mortuary.
Please allow #LASD a few minutes to confirm info regarding the #BreakingNews in the pursuit involving the black Lincoln Navigator, that may possibly be involved in the incident from last night from the unincorporated area #Pasadena. As soon as we have details we will provide it. pic.twitter.com/lCmZVgX51e
— LA County Sheriffs (@LASDHQ) February 27, 2020
- Stolen hearse carrying casket recovered after freeway chase
- Officers Pursue Stolen Car on Freeways in Three SoCal Counties
- Anderson Police Officer Recovers Stolen Vehicle
- Stolen car police chase, one passenger dead
- Marysville Police recover more than $54,000 in stolen property
- California police recover 2,000 stolen laptops in theft ring
- Two Stolen Bikes Recovered for Victims of the Carr Fire
- Stolen Picasso painting worth $28 million recovered after 20 years
- Deputies arrest 3, recover stolen firearm during Chico traffic stop
- Police recover 100 stolen packages, arrest 2 in Roseville