"It's a huge emotional occupation ... We do everything we can to care for the animals in our community. We are the voice for the animals that can't communicate," said Officer Ryan Soulsby of Butte County Animal Control.
Luckily for nearly 100 dogs in Concow - a concerned resident spoke up on their behalf.
Just after Christmas, Butte County Animal Control got a tip that something wasn't quite right.
At first, Officer Ryan Soulsby wasn't too worried.
"Any calls that BCAC receives, we'll send an officer out there to get both sides of the story, from the reporting party and the animal owners," said Soulsby.
But when animal control officers entered a home on the lower Yankee Hill side of Concow on Januray 3rd, they were shocked.
"The condition that we found them in, as well as their confinement, was inappropriate based on California state laws .. There was evidence that puppies were bing sold from the residence." said Soulsby.
They found 70 puppies and 25 adult malamutes.
Legally, you can't have more than 5 dogs per property without a permit in the county.
And they were sick, with Giardia and Coccidia.
"This causes intestinal issues - severe diahrrea and in severe cases can lead to the death of animals if they're not treated," said Soulsby.
Puppies usually get Coccidia when they're living in filth, in particular, exposed to large amount of feces.
Soulsby said they had to act fast.
"The rescue effort was a huge collaboration of forces - Butte County Public Health ... North Valley Animal Disaster Group assisted in the transport.
Help has poured in from across state lines - 55 of the dogs are a shelter in Oregon, 40 are still recovering at the SPCA in Oroville.
"The puppies that were on the lethargic side are coming out fo their shell, playing with each other. That's the great reward of this job is getting to see these guys turn around health-wise," said Soulsby.
- Investigations continue in Concow puppy mill case
- Butte County Animal Control shuts down Concow puppy mill
- Investigators Find Remains at Site of Concow Mobile Home Fire
- Concow Mobile Home Destroyed by Fire
- 10-Acre Fire Burning in Concow, Prompts Evacuations
- Concow Home Destroyed, Nearby Vegetation Contained Quickly
- National Puppy Day
- Concow Mobile Home Destroyed, Vegetation Fire Quickly Contained
- VIDEO: A Look at Concow After the Camp Fire
- Parts of Ridge, Concow Area Could Repopulate Next Week