CHICO, Calif. - State and Federal lawmakers held a town hall meeting at Elks Lodge in Chico on Aug. 12 to discuss wildfire recovery.
Senator Nielsen was joined by Congressman Doug LaMalfa and Assemblyman James Gallagher for the meeting.
Hundreds of people came out to hear what the lawmakers had to say about the wildfire recovery efforts in Butte County.
The lawmakers started the meeting by talking about their main concerns and what they have been focusing on from the local level up to the national level.
People then had the chance to ask questions about a wide range of concerns like permit fees, tree removal, and insurance. Some wanted to know why the process is taking so long.
"You start to get an idea of the size and scope of the problem when you have a big meeting like this," Ed Cox, Butte County resident said. "When they start talking about the cleanup and the status of the cleanup, and the building permits. When you look at the stats though it feels like we have just begun. It's not that we are not going to get it done, but we have just begun.
Senator Jim Nielsen said the county needs two-way communication.
"Them to us, and that way can then translate that into action and we can inform them to what we see going on and what they see going on day by day, that we do not," Nielsen said.
Nielsen added that communication is important because there needs to be hope for people wanting to rebuild and move back to Paradise, and they need to know they are supported.
- State and Federal lawmakers held town hall meeting to discuss wildfire recovery in Butte County
- Chico Fire Department hosts wildfire awareness town hall meeting
- Wildfire Recovery Meeting for Carr Fire Victims
- Recovery From 2017 Wildfires in Butte County Far From Complete
- Butte County Disaster Recovery Centers change hours
- Paradise Town Hall Gets Makeover
- Town Hall Reopens in Paradise
- Fire Recovery meeting in Oroville
- Gov. Brown Discusses California Wildfires
- Assemblyman Gallagher discusses Butte County housing needs