STANISLAUS COUNTY, Calif. - A Stanislaus County deputy was killed while going after a suspected drunk driver Sunday night.
Antonio Hinostroza was killed when his car hit a center median on Claribel Road.
Christian Gonzalez and his girlfriend Aileen Hernandez witnessed Hinostroza's car speeding down the road when it hit the center median. They then attempted to help and save his life.
"He wasn't alone, we were here to help him and we're doing our best like I'm trying to open the door from the other side," said Hernandez.
Sheriff Adam Christianson said Hinostroza was on his way to stop a suspected drunk driver, who had been convicted and served time for five prior DUI's. He tried to run from deputies but ended up getting caught.
"Just love the ones you have and cherish them a little bit more," Gonzalez said. "Everything could be taken away from you."
- Stanislaus Deputy Killed in Car Chase with Suspected Drunk Driver
- Stanislaus authorities searching for murder suspect
- CHP officer killed by suspected drunk driver
- Statewide Manhunt Underway for Suspect in Stanislaus Officer Shooting
- Deputy Cars Nearly Hit While Chasing Suspects in Burney: SCSO
- Suspected drunk driver attempts to escape police, crashes into rail
- Undocumented immigrant, suspected drunk driver indicted on possession charges
- Chico police chase, arrest suspected car burglar
- Newman Officer Killed, Search is on for Gunman: Stanislaus County Sheriff
- Suspected DUI driver rams LA patrol cars