Photo Gallery 4 Images
Updated 2:47 p.m. Saturday, Mar. 30 2019 - The PG&E crews took snow depth measurements Saturday morning at 12 different locations in a meadow in the mountains north of Lake Almanor. The crew then went to Lassen Volcanic National Park and took approximately 20 measurements close to Lake Helena near the trailhead to Lassen Peak.
PG&E spokesperson Paul Moreno said on Friday crews used a SnoCat to do measurements at a site on Mt. Dyer in Lassen County.
On Sunday crews will fly to additional sites in the North Fork Feather River watershed.
Moreno said next week's wet weather predictions make it so they can not fly out and conduct their snow surveys.
Measurements by members of the Department of Water Resources (DWR) California Snow Survey Cooperative take place between March 25 and April 3. These will be analyzed to complete the April 1st official state survey.
SHASTA AND PLUMAS COUNTIES, Calif. - PG&E conducted snow surveys in some remote areas of Shasta and Plumas Counties on Saturday. They traveled to remote areas by helicopter.
According to company spokesperson Paul Moreno the snow was two times as deep as "normal" in one snowy meadow they surveyed that was located north of Lake Almanor.
Moreno said the results of the Saturday snow survey are very promising for the state of California. He quoted the statistics from the state that showed that snowpack is approximately 156 percent of normal for this time of year.
Moreno said the added snow means Pacific Gas & Electric can produce more clean, renewable hydropower this spring and summer, and that more water is available for fish, the environment, farms and cities as well.
PG&E shares their data with the California Cooperative Snow Survey run by the state Department of Water Resources. The measurements help California track and predict water conditions for the year.
PG&E uses the information from their surveys to determine how much hydropower they can generate each year.
- Snow near Lake Almanor twice as deep as normal
- Lake Almanor man arrested for stabbing stepson
- Lake Almanor boat ramp closing for the winter
- Highway 89 Closed at Lake Almanor for Bridge Replacement Project
- WATCH VIDEO: Traffic safety issues at Lake Almanor's Spillway Bridge
- Lake Almanor to be higher than average during 2019 summer
- Almanor Ranger District seeking summer campground hosts
- The new normal in Paradise
- DWR: cracks on spillway are normal, expected
- Deep freeze threatens lives of unsheltered in Chico