UPDATE 11:36 a.m. Monday, Aug. 19 - The hiker who disappeared in the Trinity Alps has been found dead.
A search team found the body of Daniel Komins early Sunday, Aug. 18. Authorities said it appears that Komins had fallen to his death in the steep and rocky Trinity Alps.
The Trinity County Sheriff's Office said Sunday crews recovered Komins' body shortly after a California Highway Patrol helicopter located a backpack off a trail.
Crews had been searching for Komins since Aug. 15.
TRINITY COUNTY, Calif. - The Trinity County Sheriff's Office searching for 34-year-old experienced hiker after a five-day trip.
Wednesday evening the Trinity County Sheriff's Office received a call saying Daniel Komins had not yet returned from a solo hiking trip in the Trinity Alps.
Komins began near the Canyon Creek trail system on August 10 before calling his girlfriend on August 11 to inform her the trip was going as planned.
The hiker was set to return on Wednesday, August 14, and when he did not return, his girlfriend called the Sheriff's office and reported him missing.
Following the call, Komins' vehicle was located near a Trinity County trailhead but was unoccupied.
Search and Rescue crews, including ground, air and vehicle teams, went out at daylight on Thursday and have continued to search since.
Komins, an EMT, has a GPS which appears to not be operating properly and his phone has seen no activity since August 11.
Search and Rescue teams will continue to work until Komins is located.
- Search teams found missing Trinity Alps hiker dead
- Wingsuit fliers stunt over alps
- Missing Mount Shasta Hiker Found Alive
- Missing Upper Bidwell Park hiker found
- Authorities searching for Trinity County shooting suspect
- One Dead After Trinity County Fight
- UPDATE: Oregon Hiker Found Safe
- Missing Chico woman found dead
- Missing Redding Man Found Dead
- Authorities searching for missing hikers near Mount Baldy