Shasta Lake, Calif.-- The Shasta County Sheriff's Office says around 12:30 Thursday afternoon, 34-year-old James Owens Junior was dropped off at Shasta Regional Medical Center with at least one gunshot wound.
Detectives with the Shasta County Sheriff's Office Major Crimes Unit says Owens Jr. had two friends help him retrieve personal items from a home off Lake Boulevard. The friends, Roy Orosco, and Michael Spruth are both from Redding.
They say Owens Jr. and the two men drove up to the Lake Boulevard residence, cut a chain that was locking metal gates. 67-year-old Elliot Stennes came out from the house and detectives say an argument ensued between Stennes and Owens Jr.
Detectives say Stennes reported Owens Jr. sprayed him with pepper spray, which caused him to take out his small caliber, black powder pistol from his pocket in his own defense. Stennes fired several rounds at Owens Jr. striking him at least once.
The Shasta County Sheriff's Office says Owens Jr. remains in critical condition.
Officials say Stennes knows Owens Jr. from Owens Jr. helping him with a marijuana grow at the Lake Boulevard address. Stennes reported that Owens Jr. had made physical threats to harm him.
No arrests have been made.
Detectives continue to follow up on the investigation.
- Shasta Lake Shooting Leaves One Critically Injured
- Shooting Near High School in Fairfield leaves one teen dead, another critically injured
- Car-to-car shooting leaves California woman critical
- Shasta Lake City Manager Announces Retirement
- Missing Woman Found Alive Near Shasta Lake
- Deputies Find Deceased Man in Shasta Lake
- Hirz Fire impacts Shasta Lake Businesses
- Vehicle rollover leaves 1 injured near Durham
- DUI crash leaves 6 injured, including children
- UPDATED: Mount Shasta man found deceased on Medicine Lake Road