Shasta County Health and Human Services Agency warns residents to stay safe and help others in the cold weather.
Homeless people and older adults are especially susceptible to the dangers of cold weather.
Other groups at risk include infants, people who work or are active outside, and people who live in poorly insulated homes without heat or power.
They say that you should also be aware of carbon monoxide hazards.
Never use a gas range or oven to heat a home.
Never use a charcoal grill, lantern or portable camping stove inside a house, garage, tent or camper.
Don't run a vehicle or other fueled engine (including a generator) inside a closed garage or basement or outside an open window, door or vent where exhaust can vent into an enclosed area.
Keep vents and flues free of debris, especially if winds are high. Flying debris can block ventilation lines. Have your chimney checked annually.
If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, consult a health care professional right away.
How you can help others:
Check on your neighbors or relatives who may be vulnerable.
Be aware of the warning signs of hypothermia in adults and children: shivering, exhaustion, confusion, fumbling hands, memory loss, slurred speech or drowsiness. Infant symptoms include bright red, cold skin and/or very low energy. If you notice any of these signs get medical attention immediately.
For more information, contact the Shasta County Health and Human Services Agency at 225-5591 or 1-800-971-1999.
- Shasta County warns residents to stay safe in the cold weather
- Shasta County weather watch
- Shasta County warning residents about a deputy phone scam
- Staying Safe this Summer Break
- Staying Safe While Working Outdoors
- Staying safe on the road during winter weather
- Shasta County Election Results
- Shasta County Firefighters Remind Residents of Zero-Tolerance Fireworks Policy
- Residents Watch Long Lost Shasta Dam Documentary
- Shasta County Sheriff warns Public about Phone Scam