REDDING, Calif. - A Shasta County man was arrested on Wednesday on charges of abusing his girlfriend and her infant child.
Officers first responded to Mercy Medical Center on Monday regarding a 10-week-old infant that was experiencing signs of child abuse, including a fractured skull.
The mother of the infant agreed to be interviewed by investigators.
She admitted that she was the victim of repeated domestic violence at the hands of her boyfriend. Then, she gave officers additional information that lead them to believe her boyfriend, Scott Kamakaokalani Meigs, 28, of Redding, could be a suspect in the child abuse case.
Meigs agreed to be interviewed by investigators. He admitted to assaulting the infant on multiple occasions out of frustration from the infant's crying.
Meigs was booked into Shasta County Jail on Tuesday on five counts of domestic violence, three counts of felony child abuse and three counts of inflicting bodily injury. However, he made bail after 22 hours in custody.
Investigators later learned that the infant's injuries were worse than originally thought after additional medical scans were completed. The infant suffered 15 total fractures and was suffering from abusive head trauma.
Due to the nature of the injuries, officers obtained a new arrest warrant charging Meigs with four additional counts: One count of torture, two counts of assault inflicting bodily injury, and one count of criminal threats.
He was arrested again on Wednesday and was booked into Shasta County Jail on a bail of $550,000.
- Shasta County suspect arrested on charges of abusing girlfriend, infant
- Shasta County man arrested on child abuse, attempted murder charges
- Suspect arrested in Paradise for attacking girlfriend
- Shasta County Sheriff's deputies arrest shooting suspect
- Red Bluff parents jailed for suspected abuse of infant daughter
- Shasta County health officials confirm measles case in infant
- Shasta County Elder Abuse Prevention Month Events
- Police Arrest Redding Man Suspected of Severely Assaulting, Robbing Girlfriend
- Shasta County kidnapping suspects in court on attempted murder charges
- Suspected Xanax manufacturer, dealer arrested in Shasta County