SHASTA COUNTY, Calif. - The Shasta County Sheriff's Office said a man shot his brother in the chest several times in self-defense on Wednesday.
Around 9:09 p.m. on Wednesday, deputies responded to reports of a family disturbance at 21893 Squaw Grass Trail, in the Bella Vista area.
Deputies were notified that shots had been fired during the disturbance.
When they arrived, they found Joshua Snyder, 35, suffering from several gunshot wounds to his torso. He was transferred to a local hospital.
After interviewing family members at the scene, deputies learned that Joshua had brandished a pistol at his mother, Renee Young, earlier and fired one round. No family members were struck.
Joshua's brother, Jeffrey Snyder, confronted Joshua in the garage of the home with a firearm.
Joshua pointed the gun at Jeffery and advanced toward him. Fearing for his life, deputies said that Jeffrey fired several rounds at Joshua, hitting him in the chest.
Joshua remains in a local hospital under critical condition.
Jeffrey was not arrested as deputies said it appears he was acting in self-defense.
Criminal charges are being sought against Joshua in the investigation.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Shasta County Sheriff's Office at (530) 245-6025.
- Shasta County deputies: man shoots brother in self defense
- Shasta County Sheriff's deputies arrest shooting suspect
- Deputies Find Deceased Man in Shasta Lake
- Video: Shasta County Deputy Punches Party-Goer
- Shasta County district attorney clears four separate shooting cases, says they were in self-defense
- Shasta Co. Deputies Searching for Suspect in Shooting
- Manhunt underway for Shasta County shooting suspect
- Deputies arrest man suspected of stealing boat at Shasta Lake
- Shasta County warning residents about a deputy phone scam
- Shasta County Sheriff's Deputies Investigating Body Found on Stagecoach Road