Shasta County --- Shasta County residents have had to deal with the jail being full since 1994.
But now the county is making progress with a tentative plan to add 60 new jail beds.
“I recently presented a plan to the Shasta County Board of supervisors the first part of that plan is to expand 60 beds into the existing Shasta County Jail," said Sheriff Tom Bosenko in a Facebook post.
This tentative agreement comes after the Board of Supervisors turned down recent applications for funding to build a new jail.
This is because funding for the project could not be identified.
However, that did not stop plans to move forward.
Action News Now spoke with jail officials to see will these 60 new beds make a difference.
They said in just the past week, 244 people have been booked into the Shasta County Jail, 33 of those were booked on just Tuesday. And at that rate, the 60 new beds would be filled in less than two days.
Booking Information from April 10 -17, 2018.
Which is concerning to residents we spoke with.
"Too many people are getting back out on the street that were in jail the week before. So they need to serve their time in jail. "
But as Sheirff Bosenko said this is only the first plan.
The county is also looking into converting court rooms one and two, which are attached to the exisiting jail, into more bed space.
This move would add up to 128 new beds.
At this time, there is no word when that could happen.
but Sheriff Bosenko did say the county is working quickly to create the plans for the 60 bed expansion.
Adding they are hoping to break ground soon.
"We are working hard to expand out the jail facility and offender accountability for these criminals that are impacting you, me, and the community." said Bosenko.
- Shasta County Jail Expansion Expected to Fill Quickly
- Shasta County Jail Expansion Project Complete
- Butte County Jail Expansion in Progress
- Jail Bed Expansion Project Approved in Redding
- Shasta County Authorities Open Formal Bidding on County Jail Project
- Fill the boot event comes to the Shasta Mall
- Shasta County Sheriff settles suit over jail conditions
- Shasta County could soon be getting desperately needed jail beds
- Sheriff's office says inmate died in Shasta County Jail
- Shasta County Jail inmate pronounced dead, Sheriff's Office says